Thursday 13 October 2011

River City, Music City, Windy City

So, I realise I'm way behind on my blogging. There's a few that I have started and will finish. The problem has been I've been having amazing days, and then starting to write at night... And falling asleep. So, nothing changes! But here I am, checked in at Chicago O'Hare, all set for S Africa, and I can't believe nearly three weeks in America have gone by so quickly.

In the last few weeks I've tried to resist dipping in to broad generalisations and assumptions when people have asked me for them. (Are people in Britain less receptive to immigration than in America? Are they more or less political? Are people more likely to get involved in volunteering? These are all questions I've evaded giving any opinion on, just today. ) But I'm tempted to indulge in a little personal reflection just now. And as it's late at night you all understand, this is just me riffing and not necessarily espousing any fully formed opinions.

Things I Think I've Learned From Using American Public Transport:
- Distance is measured in the time it takes to drive there. Anything less than a 40 minute drive is considered nearby. I learned that more than once by attempting to follow directions that were just 5 minutes away. (5 minutes down the fecking freeway!)
- You can sue anyone for anything but if you trip on crappy pavements, it's your own risk.
- Taking the bus is considered a quaint but life threatening activity by those who own cars, as they've seemingly never done this.
- Taking the bus is considered a quaint and life affirming activity if you're dealing with mental health issues. My personal favourite was a guy who had a double sided picture: one a bootlicious lady, booty very much in the foreground; on the other, President Obama smiling somewhat demurely. He made anyone who sat next to him choose a side, and then laughed in the face of that person, seemingly with the same gusto whichever side was chosen.
- Taking the bus is often a great way to see how racially divided some parts of cities are. I was frequently the only white person on the bus in some areas. (I only caused a stir once, the day the bus was really busy, and I lost my grip on the handrail, and had to grab hold of a substantial lady to not fall over. My inner Brit emerged as I profusely apologised, and the entire bus united and cracked up laughing.)
- I now know the reason why taking a greyhound bus is often listed on those list of Things To Do Before You Die.

Things I Think I've Learned from Watching American TV:
- They have the same standard of advertising as the UK when it comes to offering to buy your unwanted gold.
- They genuinely do have home made commercials by used car salesmen, calling themselves "Honest Chuck" and "Dan Your Used Car Man". This is not just something they make up for bad TV cop shows.
- There is a genuine obsession with the Michael Jackson's doctor trial, which takes up over half the nightly news on every channel I tried.
- The direct marketing of prescription drugs to the public seems to me to be as insane as it is dangerous. To my ears, the vast list of side effects that have to be read out by law would be enough to stop me being tempted. (One of my favourite drugs to be advertised for suspected asthma had the side effect that "in rare cases, leads to bad judgement". Really?I'd love to know how that came about!) But then I realised that it's feeding an addiction. In much the same was as smokers are immune to cigarette packet warnings that scare the bejeezus out of non smokers; the lengthy side effects of prescription drugs can be ignored when the overriding addition of consumerist health care is being sold, in much the same way as luxury goods. "You deserve better health" "Don't trust a doctor with the health of your child, ask them for this drug now."

And things I've learned about me...

I always want to write than i have time for. Sorry! The plane's about to board. See you in South Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment